Search for:

Board index  »  Suggestions  »  Place a marker on the GPS trail for photos uploaded

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2008, 12:38 Reply with quote Report this post
I'm not sure how hard this would be, but could geotagged photos that get upload be marked on the map as a waypoint?

Trails from Grey3000
PostPosted: 15 Jan 2008, 11:54 Reply with quote Report this post
This would be cool and it'll make easier to describe the trail with pictures.

Frankly I don't know how the photos get geotagged. if I'm not wrong a geotagged photo has a valid latitude and longitude in its EXIF data right? That would be an excellent candidate for a waypoint in wikiloc.

Please would you mind to send me a sample geotagged photo to investigate further how to do that? you may use a private message or even better my gmail's account.

Many thanks

Trails from Jordi
PostPosted: 15 Jan 2008, 14:08 Reply with quote Report this post
Correct GPS data is stored in the EXIF information. A small number of cameras actually do this on the fly with a built in GPS. Myself and many others use a standalone GPS and software to add the data. Most hikers. bicyclist and such do this as a matter of course. Wikiloc would simply have to read the data from the photo, not add it for this feature to work. If the photo does not have the gps information in the exif you could let them set it with google maps although that might be too much :)

I wrote a small tutorial a while back if you want to look at it..
http://grey3000.home.comcast.net/geotag-tutorial.html

and all my photos are geotagged, pick any from a recent trail :)

Trails from Grey3000

Last edited by Grey3000 on 15 Jan 2008, 14:10, edited 2 times in total.
PostPosted: 15 Jan 2008, 15:40 Reply with quote Report this post
Thanks for sharing all that info. Your tutorial is in its way to the printer :)

Hope to get back to you with news on this subject soon

Best Regards

Trails from Jordi
PostPosted: 15 Jan 2008, 16:31 Reply with quote Report this post
Jordi wrote:
Thanks for sharing all that info. Your tutorial is in its way to the printer :)

Hope to get back to you with news on this subject soon

Best Regards

I'm not sure what your running on the back end but http://www.sentex.net/~mwandel/jhead/, Jhead will strip out all the exif info from the photo and it can be piped or redirected to a file, it should be simple to parse the date and location from the the resulting text file.

Trails from Grey3000
PostPosted: 21 Jan 2008, 08:49 Reply with quote Report this post
Jordi,

You can try to read the date and time from the exiff data, then compare it with the date and time from the track points and geo-locate it in the map. But i think this execeded the objective from wikiloc.

This web-based albumns, let you to geotagged the fotos.
www.flickr.com
www.panoramio.com

This software make the geotagged like the way I told in the beginning of the post.

www.compegps.com

Trails from ldiegoes
PostPosted: 21 Jan 2008, 20:53 Reply with quote Report this post
ldiegoes wrote:
Jordi,

You can try to read the date and time from the exiff data, then compare it with the date and time from the track points and geo-locate it in the map. But i think this execeded the objective from wikiloc.

This web-based albumns, let you to geotagged the fotos.
www.flickr.com
www.panoramio.com

This software make the geotagged like the way I told in the beginning of the post.

www.compegps.com

The Idea i was suggesting was not to geotag the photos, but to show a waypoint flag on the gps trail you could click on to bring up the photo... To help describe the trip. They could be simply numbered flags or whatever. I would assume the photos would be geotagged already.

Trails from Grey3000

Last edited by Grey3000 on 21 Jan 2008, 20:54, edited 2 times in total.
PostPosted: 22 Jan 2008, 00:19 Reply with quote Report this post
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: I don't understood that, sorry.

Trails from ldiegoes
PostPosted: 22 Jan 2008, 19:08 Reply with quote Report this post
ldiegoes wrote:
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: I don't understood that, sorry.

Perhaps Jordi or a another wikilocian could translate :)

Trails from Grey3000
PostPosted: 28 Jan 2008, 17:51 Reply with quote Report this post
Grey3000 wrote:

The Idea i was suggesting was not to geotag the photos, but to show a waypoint flag on the gps trail you could click on to bring up the photo... To help describe the trip. They could be simply numbered flags or whatever. I would assume the photos would be geotagged already.

Traduccion:

La idea que estoy sugiriendo no es hacerle geotag a las fotos, sino mas bien mostrar una banderita de waypoint en los tracks en la que uno pudiese pinchar para hacer aparecer una foto de ese punto exactamente... para ayudar a describir el viaje. Podrían ser simplemente banderas numeradas o algo así. Yo asumiría que las fotos ya estan "geotageadas"

For Grey3000: I think what Idiegoes doesn't understand is the last sentence. Would you really assume the photos would be geotagged? That's way too much to assume :lol:

In the common case that the picture is not geotagged, I would like to have something similar to Picasa pictures drag & drop over the map, but in this case, over the trail. After uploading your pics, you locate them by dragging and dropping.

Trails from Potxoki