Search for:

Board index  »  Suggestions  »  Wishlist for this website

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2007, 13:43 Reply with quote Report this post
Here's a list of things that would be Awsome if this website had the ability todo.
(sorry if its already mentioned, i dont speak spanish)

Ability to see flickr photos on the map.

Ability to add in local geotagged flickr and panoramio photos so they show up when browsing someone route.

Ability have a group of waypoints and different tracks.. so it's all seen on 1 map. (or at least recommended acess roads to the route your posting)

Google maps search for the map posted onto wikiloc.com

Ability to upload a new updated track files to the same map (overwrite the old map)

Thanks,
Sam

Trails from
PostPosted: 18 Dec 2007, 10:11 Reply with quote Report this post
samvekemans wrote:
Here's a list of things that would be Awsome if this website had the ability todo.

Ability to add in local geotagged flickr and panoramio photos so they show up when browsing someone route.

Ability have a group of waypoints and different tracks.. so it's all seen on 1 map. (or at least recommended acess roads to the route your posting)

Ability to upload a new updated track files to the same map (overwrite the old map)

Thanks,
Sam

Sorry if it seems like nit picking, (but my intention is to have the complete Trail across Canada listed here along with every trail segment, and points showing the source of each track. ..right now i need to have it shown on google earth as a copy, as this site cant do that yet.)

Heres the latest:
1. ..Looks like its now possable to search for the routes on google maps, (live feed KML) AWSOME :)
(thumbs up)

2 Looks like the grouping option is good.
Perhaps i need to have a waypoint as the main group item, and have the other maps in it? So then i can show people the whole group. .. and when i go and edit the tracks with the updated ones. I dont need to recopy all the links. .. PS. that photo of the cat who is in the computer is great :@) .. I'll get back to this group if it worked or not.
(no thumbs yet)

3 Doesnt look like i can edit the tracks or points yet. .. If option 2 works with the grouping that'll help for the 4 trails.

4 Would be great if when i uploaded a new file, all of the contents could automatically be in a group (as they are related points). ... If i could be in the group of tracks while uploading a new set of points that would be some.

5 Photos, doesnt look like that possable yet. .. The panoramio photos are nice though. ... everytrail.com lets you add in local photos (even if their not yours).

6 A couple more activity Icons. .. one for hiking?

Thanks,
Sam

Trails from
PostPosted: 28 Dec 2007, 11:55 Reply with quote Report this post
in the early days of wikiloc, it haded implemented the flickr photos... but it doesn't work.

Panoramio was working a little bit more, but it only show to few photos.

Trails from ldiegoes
PostPosted: 28 Dec 2007, 12:37 Reply with quote Report this post
Thanks,
I guess you got my regular email reply?

Cool,
Im sure theres a way to find the Flickr photos, as www.everytrail.com has that ability (douting now, I think it does)

So the only major thing left is the ability to edit the trail, by adding a new verion of the GPS tracks the the same route page. So after i added in a bunch of photos... I dont need to re-add in the photos when i have a better version of the Tracks for the route. ... in the mean time i get the Kity cat on my blog when i change this route on wikiloc.om

I do realize that my routes are 10,000km each, so it's not possable to import all the photos showing the full trail. .. So instead i just have a few place markers which have links to where people can find the individual tracks.

Thanks,
Sam

Trails from
PostPosted: 28 Dec 2007, 13:25 Reply with quote Report this post
samvekemans wrote:

Heres the latest:
1. ..Looks like its now possable to search for the routes on google maps, (live feed KML) AWSOME :)
(thumbs up)

Yeah... to much usefull

samvekemans wrote:

2 Looks like the grouping option is good.
Perhaps i need to have a waypoint as the main group item, and have the other maps in it? So then i can show people the whole group. .. and when i go and edit the tracks with the updated ones. I dont need to recopy all the links. .. PS. that photo of the cat who is in the computer is great :@) .. I'll get back to this group if it worked or not.
(no thumbs yet)

This kind of things perhaps exceed the real way of wikiloc, we ask Jordi to improve some things that at the end, we are going to use a little.

But, Jordi has the last word (this is a spanish slang) i don't know how to translate to english.

samvekemans wrote:

3 Doesnt look like i can edit the tracks or points yet. .. If option 2 works with the grouping that'll help for the 4 trails.

You have to click in the track/waypoint locker to edit it. But you only can edit the properties, name, description, icon and website.

samvekemans wrote:

4 Would be great if when i uploaded a new file, all of the contents could automatically be in a group (as they are related points). ... If i could be in the group of tracks while uploading a new set of points that would be some.

I don't understand this point, sorry.

samvekemans wrote:

5 Photos, doesnt look like that possable yet. .. The panoramio photos are nice though. ... everytrail.com lets you add in local photos (even if their not yours).

I answered later... sorry.

samvekemans wrote:

6 A couple more activity Icons. .. one for hiking?

I use for hiking this wikiloc's icon:

Trails from ldiegoes
PostPosted: 15 Jan 2008, 12:53 Reply with quote Report this post
Hi Sam, sorry for being so slow in writing back to you on this, thanks in advance for suggesting ways to improve the site. I try to add some answers to the already told by ldiegoes inline below:

samvekemans wrote:

You mean something like this? http://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=12121 (the blue spots are photos from Panoramio). A few months ago I left only the ability to display Panoramio photos on the map since they are photos of landscapes and other outdoor views like mountains, rivers.... I mean in Flickr there are way much more photos but the ones I got near the trails weren't very outdoor related. I assume that it could be something I did wrong, perhaps there's a filter in the Flickr API to retrieve geotagged outdoor pictures but I couldn't find it, so I left Panoramio.

samvekemans wrote:

Yes, you can do that. Perhaps the help section (a bit outdated.. I know!) explains it better than I could do it here: http://en.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/help.do#q21

samvekemans wrote:

By now the track geometry (line/path) cannot be replaced. As you suggest you can create a group and add tracks to it. If you replace one of the tracks you will keep description/photos etc... of the main group (waypoint / track). Please keep in mind in doing that if you create a group of huge tracks it can freeze/block Internet Explorer and people will have difficulties in visualizing your trip.

samvekemans wrote:

Yes, you may edit every track (the same for waypoints) by clicking on "Actions" button on the upper-right section of the map (having signed in and with "Your Trails" tab opened)

samvekemans wrote:

This works as you suggest when you upload a file with -one track- and a number of waypoints (between 1 and 50). They all get grouped automatically (track + waypoints along it).

samvekemans wrote:

Yes, you may add up to 6 photos at full resolution to every waypoint and every track from the same "Edit" page you use to change trail name, description etc...

Thanks and please feel free to contact me, I'd be glad to help in your adventure!
Jordi

BTW: Glad you like the kitty although my intention (from a technical point of view) was that it won't be seen too often :)

Trails from Jordi
PostPosted: 16 Mar 2008, 03:20 Reply with quote Report this post
Hi,
Been a while since i last posted..
Anyway, Im back. :)

Just did a random google maps search and found my trails,.. nice :)

Is it possable to remove ALL of my posts/tracks and points?
this way then i can only keep a copy of 1 of each trail...
I have too many routes posted, and need to clean them up. There is no need to have that many.

PM me, or email me. .. or would i need to have the profile deleted, and then re-set it up??

Thanks,
Sam

Trails from
PostPosted: 19 Mar 2008, 14:40 Reply with quote Report this post
Hi Sam,

You can delete all your tracks and waypoints by clicking on the "Delete" link that shows up when you mouse over the track's name on the left hand side list (under "your trails" tab)

If you want to get rid of all your trails and think the existing trails may be of interest to someone else, perhaps you may consider to just create a new account? don't know if that make sense to you.

Anyways just PM me if you need help deleting things, I'll be on vacations soon and can collaborate :)

btw: where are you right now? in Canada?

Good luck!
Jordi

Trails from Jordi

Last edited by Jordi on 19 Mar 2008, 14:40, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: 10 Apr 2008, 16:48 Reply with quote Report this post
A couple ideas based on initial impression, sorry if I am duplicating previous requests:

1. Allow to mark trails with multiple activity icons and allow a search by activity.

2. Allow rating of other people's trails, and use that rating to sort when showing nearby trails (a trail across US shown as nearly trail when looking for local trails seems odd). I'd like to be able to search for local trails that are highly rated by other users.

3. My GPS does not record altitude. It would be great if your server could fill in the altitude based on existing topological maps.

Thanks for great site!
:-)

Trails from g246020
PostPosted: 16 Apr 2008, 15:35 Reply with quote Report this post
Thanks much for your ideas on how to improve the site.

I hope to start soon on a feature to rate trails. This rating will be considered while calculating the "interestingness factor" (haven't decided the term yet, suggestions are welcome :) that will consider as well if the trail has a descriptive text, how many times has been viewed, downloades, commented, if there are photos, etc... then all trails will be sorted by this factor, and we'll get the best trails first in search results. Thanks for confirming that this is needed.

Regarding adding altitude from topo maps, it's already in my todo list and I'm currently doing some testing with GTopo30 elevation dataset.

Btw: You may search trails by activity from the 'advanced search' page (click on the square with an '*' in it to see the activities) I guess it'll be better to add this filter to the map search too.

Cheers and many thanks for your great feedback!

Trails from Jordi