Search for:

Board index  »  Suggestions  »  Email submission of GPX and text

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2007, 11:28 Reply with quote Report this post
Jordi - fantastic webservice - thanks very much for developing this.

I'd like to be able to submit my GPX files + text by email. This is because the places I am travelling to don't have Internet access at all, but do have GPRS.

Alot of blogs allow you to update the blog by email and it would be really great if your webservice could do the same and be the first to offer this functionality.

Thanks.

Trails from OneTrack
PostPosted: 15 Nov 2007, 13:51 Reply with quote Report this post
Thanks for your post. You seem to read my mind :) because this is one of the next features I plan to add.

Profiting by the occasion, what text would you like to include in the email? I was thinking in using the subject as the trail's name and the body text as the trail description and if not specified try to get that info from the file contents.

Specifying the kind of activity (walking, cycling...) would also be nice.

Then wikiloc would send an email back to you with the upload "success" status and the permalink to your new route page or something like that.

Well, that's what I had in mind, but it's not written in stone of course. Your opinion on how you would like to use this feature is appreciated.

Many thanks.

Trails from Jordi
PostPosted: 16 Nov 2007, 02:18 Reply with quote Report this post
Excellent. It would be best to make the feature as basic as possible in the first instance. That way the feature is easier to develop and you will get more ideas from people once they try it out.

Subject: TrailName
Body: Blog/diary of trail
Attachment: GPX file with route taken

As mentioned initially you should easily be able to update blogspot with the googlemap and text. This should be done after wikiloc has returned the details of the processed email. I guess you should have a rule of one .GPX file per email (i.e. only 1 attachment)?

I think that would be great to start. The question is - when can you get it working...!!

Some people might like the option to attach pictures too. However that's not a requirement for me since it would be expensive to upload pictures via mobileIP. Later on maybe you could add that as an option too. The whole idea of this is small file transfer, just to give an update on location and text.

John.

Trails from OneTrack
PostPosted: 16 Nov 2007, 06:04 Reply with quote Report this post
Thanks for your vision on this. I agree on keeping it simple.

The confirmation email you'll receive after a successful upload will contain the code snippet ready to copy&paste to a website/weblog to display the minimap of the route.

Uploading attached photos will be great and easy to develop, the only concern is email attachment limits, but sending through GPRS one probalby don't want to send 2 megs images... so it could be safe to include this feature too.

Next week I'm snow covered but hopefully in 10 days or so it'll be done. I'll write a post to this thread once it's ready.

Cheers

Trails from Jordi
PostPosted: 16 Nov 2007, 06:09 Reply with quote Report this post
Jordi - brilliant. Look forward to it...!

Trails from OneTrack
PostPosted: 25 Nov 2007, 04:01 Reply with quote Report this post
Hi Jordi, how are you progressing with this feature? I look forward to testing it for you!

regards...

Trails from OneTrack
PostPosted: 25 Nov 2007, 16:44 Reply with quote Report this post
Unfortunately I still haven't had enough time to put my hands on that new feature. Once its ready I'll let you know by pm. Needless to say that your help trying the thing will be appreciated. I'm considering to go for a Nokia N95 and I also want to get this feature up and running by then :-)

Cheers
Jordi

Trails from Jordi
PostPosted: 13 Jan 2008, 19:04 Reply with quote Report this post
I volunteer to be an official tester!!!!

:mrgreen:

Trails from Grey3000
PostPosted: 15 Jan 2008, 12:03 Reply with quote Report this post
Thanks for confirming the usefulness of this option.

Your help is highly appreciated because I perceive this feature will indeed need some testing before going live :)

Cheers

Trails from Jordi