Search for:

Board index  »  Suggestions  »  Km/miles based on track location

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2020, 18:08 Reply with quote Report this post
Many people in Romania, almost all of the programmers, have their Windows and their phones set to English. It's annoying when the tracks are shown in miles and feet.

You can assume that most of the people who want to hike in Romania are used to meters, not feet. So it would be useful if the measurement units would be based on the location of the track, not on the UI language, when the user is not logged in. I know there is a corner case when the map shows a part of England and a part of France, but in that case you could choose whatever is easier to implement.

Trails from csuporj
PostPosted: 22 Oct 2020, 12:59 Reply with quote Report this post
both in app and web in setting y can choose what unit y want.

Trails from Mohamad Chaichi محمد چایچی
PostPosted: 19 Nov 2020, 20:00 Reply with quote Report this post
You can set it only if you are logged in. I post my trails to Facebook, and almost none of the ones who look at them have a wikiloc account, almost all of them live in Romania, and many of them have their computer and smartphone set to English. So they have no idea if an elevation is high or not, because they have no idea how much a feet is, when they see one of my tacks.

Trails from csuporj
PostPosted: 19 Nov 2020, 20:26 Reply with quote Report this post
I think it would be easy to implement the following:

If UI language is English, and the user opens a http link to a trail, and the starting point of the trail is not in a country that uses feet, then set units to metric, else keep the existing logic.

Trails from csuporj
PostPosted: 19 Nov 2020, 20:31 Reply with quote Report this post
Or set the units to metric if the UI is English and the users location (ip address or whatever) is in a country that doesn't use feet. I think English is the only case when a lot of users don't use the languages units.

Trails from csuporj